7 Veg Stew-art
My mum is the queen of stews. She always comes up with some great recipes by chucking and throwing meats and vegetables into a slow cooker or a large pot, and they always come out bang on delicious.
This is one of my mum’s stews which we giggle and call ‘Stewart’. I have affectionately called it ‘Stew-Art’ as it really is a piece of work. My mum cooks her stews in a slow cooker, as do I, but we have also slowly cooked them in a large pot on the stove top and when I have been limited for time even in my pressure cooker. So, don’t stress if you don’t have a slow cooker – just use what equipment you have got.
Stews are great during winter, and particularly on those days that you know you will be out and about or just busy. We always have leftovers, which also makes either a quick dinner the next night, or a bang on lunch. We generally feed 4 adults and 2 kids with the quantity in this recipe, and someone luckily gets the leftovers for lunch unless we have seconds. If you aren’t feeding this many people then you might like to reduce the ingredients by a half.
Without going on too much this week, here is my mum’s 7 Veg Stew-art…and yes, it has 7 different vegetables in it.
7 Veg Stew-art
|Prep time||Cook time||Total time|
|1 hour||5 hours||6 hours|
Author: Beverley Turner (my mum)
- 840g Beef Chunks (aka Gravy Beef)
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil or Olive Oil
- 4 Carrots
- 1 Stick Celery
- 1 Parsnip
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 20 Fresh Beans (or frozen)
- 1 Red Capiscum
- 1 Zucchini
- ½ cup Beef Broth (or 1 beef stock cube and ½ cup water)
- 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1½ teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Powder
- ½ teaspoon Tumeric Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Trim the excess fat off the beef chunks.
- Prepare your vegetables by peeling and chopping.
- Brown the meat in the coconut oil or olive oil. If you are using a slow cooker, you may need to use use a fry pan or sauce pan then transfer the browned meat into your slow cooker.
- Add dried herbs and spices to the browned meat and mix through.
- Add beef stock.
- Top with all of the chopped vegetables then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Put the lid on your slow cooker and leave it on high for the first 3 hours then turn it down and cook on low for at least 2 hours or until your ready to eat it.