Blueberry Lemon Muffins
I have so many flavour combinations of muffins. I love making them as you don’t fill the need to pretty them up like you do with cupcakes.
This recipe varies to my previous muffin recipes as I have been playing around with gluten free flours and whether or not they need xanthan gum (or another gum). I resolved that you can bake without xanthan gum however the muffins are very crumbly. If you are using a pre-mix flour (see my versions) then don’t add xanthan gum in the recipe, however, if you are measuring out your flours then add it in. I’ve also been playing around with the quantities of baking powder and soda. Baking powder gives the muffin (or any baked goods) a puff whilst baking soda is usually in baking powder I like that little extra spread it gives to muffins, as it makes it baked goods spread so it helps fill the muffin paper patties.
I always remember:
Baking Powder = Puff
Baking Soda = Spread
These muffins come out with a little crispiness so that they were very different to cup cakes, which tend to be soft on the outside.
When I first told my family I will be making blueberry and lemon rind muffins they thought it sounded a little odd. However, I love anything citrus and love berries, so to me I thought it would make a good combination. After all, I do make a tea cake with citrus rind in it, so why not? When I did eventually make them let’s just say they didn’t even last 24 hours in my house, as everyone loved them so much.
I’ve taken samples of these blueberry lemon muffins into work colleagues to taste test, as it’s always good to get feedback from outside of the family, and I’m happy to now release this recipe.
Blueberry Lemon Muffins
|Prep time||Cook time||Total time|
|10 mins||30 mins||40 mins|
Author: Tracey Francis of Essential Olie
- ¾ cup Sugar (I use organic raw sugar)
- 250g Nuttelex (or butter)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Powder
- 1 cup Brown Rice Flour
- ¾ cup Sweet Sorghum Flour
- ½ cup Tapioca Flour
- ¼ cup Potato Starch
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Potato Flour
- 1 teaspoon Guar Gum
- ½ teaspoons Gluten Free Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Gluten Free Baking Powder
- 250g fresh or frozen Blueberries (I use 2 x 125g punnets of fresh blueberries when they are in season)
- Zest from 1 fresh medium sized Lemon
- Preheat oven to 160°C (fan forced)
- Rinse blueberries and set aside
- Zest lemon and set aside
- Using a mix master or hand beater blend together nuttelex / butter and sugar for 3 minutes til light and fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time and beat after each egg
- Add vanilla powder and beat to mix
- On a sheet of baking paper or in a mixing bowl sift gluten free flour, baking powder and baking soda
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients mixing after each time
- Add blueberries and lemon zest and lightly mix till combined
- Spoon into greased or paper lined muffin tin (tip – I use a heaped large ice cream scooper)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes