Char’s Pasta Bol
Yesterday was my baby girl’s first day in Kindergarten. I was very brave holding back tears and didn’t cry. Char on the other hand was so excited.
More brave for this new chapter in her life than her mum. But, I do love that she has a big sister at school. I also had a big sister at school and loved having her there if I needed her.
The conversation in the Francis household early yesterday:
Me: “Charlotte, what would you like as your special dinner tonight?”
Char: “Same as last night! Yummy chicken and noodles. Yeah Yeah!”
Me: “Don’t you want something different?”
Me: “What’s your next favourite dish?”
Char: “Pasta Bolognese with pasta”
Love it how she calls it Pasta Bolognese with Pasta. She LOVES gluten free pasta. So without making you wait any longer here is my recipe for Char’s Pasta Bol.
Char’s Pasta Bol
|Prep time||Cook time||Total time|
|15 mins||3 hours||3 hours 15 mins|
Recipe type: Main
- 5 fresh very ripe tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 zucchini
- 4 small carrots (or 2 medium or 1 large)
- 1 stick of celery including the leaves
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup chicken bone broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- Fresh nutmeg (grated) approximately ¼ teaspoon
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy or lactose free)
- 500g beef mince
- 500g lamb mince
- Chop tomatoes and onion in halves
- Chop in large chunks zucchini, carrots and celery
- Add above chopped ingredients to a blender or food processor with 2 cups of water. You may need to do this in batches and blend til smooth.
- Add blended ingredients to a large saucepan or pressure cooker
- Add to the blended ingredients tomato paste, salt, pepper, nutmeg, sugar, stock cubes and Italian seasoning
- Bring to the boil
- Turn down heat to low
- Add 1 cup of milk and all of the mince to the blended sauce
- Cook on low heat for 2-3 hours til the sauce is at the consistency that you like. We like it quite saucy so we find 2 hours is enough but you can cook it longer if you like it less saucy.
I also use this recipe in my slow cooker which I turn on low and leave all day. You can also use pork or veal mince in this recipe as well.
Vegetables roughly chopped
Vegetables pureed in the blender with water