You have probably noticed if you follow my photo’s on Instagram and Facebook that I love chilli flakes. I also love chilli’s but for taste not heat. I really don’t like the overly hot chilli’s.
Being corn-free I have found it hard to find a corn-free sweet chilli sauce, so here is my solution: Chilli Jam. It’s sweet from the sugar but hot from the chilli, so for me it’s a happy medium. It’s thick and gooey and you only seriously need a teaspoon of it, so this little jar goes a long way.
I love it as a condiment with any dish, but especially love it on toast with avocado.
|Prep time||Cook time||Total time|
|5 mins||30 mins||35 mins|
Before you commence make sure you have a clean sterilised jar. The recipe makes approximately 270g so you will need to use a jar that is at least 300ml.
Author: Tracey Francis of Essential Olie
- 150g Chilli’s
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup sugar (I used organic raw caster sugar)*
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- Cut off tops from the chilli’s, peel garlic and peel and quarter onion.
- Add chilli’s, garlic, onion and water to a food processor and blend til smooth.
- Transfer chilli mix to a saucepan and add sugar, apple cider vinegar, lime juice and fish sauce and bring to the boil over a high heat.
- Turn heat down to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Gently spoon chilli jam into sterilised jar, seal with the lid, and cool on the bench then refrigerate.
* For a Paleo version substitute 1 cup sugar with ½ cup honey OR maple syrup. Or, if you prefer rice malt syrup use ½ cup.