Continuing on with our love of waffles this year, I created this chocolate version so we could enjoy waffles as a sweet treat. Not that you can’t enjoy my other waffles as a sweet treat, but a chocolate indulgence sweet treat. I love chocolate and sometimes just want a chocolate comfort sweet treat that I can actually eat (ie without the dairy).
I have made a few versions and finally happy with this recipe. The weather in Sydney was not that pleasant on taking the final photo for this blog post (insert sad face) but I know there will be ample opportunities to update the photo so that it’s brighter, and more a true reflection of the chocolate colour.
These waffles are absolutely delicious with a little dairy free ice cream (I use a coconut ice cream) and for that extra decadence some of my DIY dark chocolate ice magic over the top, as it freezes over the ice cream but stays liquid over the waffles, and it’s out of this world a chocolate delight. We love eating them on the weekend for a special treat of afternoon tea or an over the top dessert after a small dinner.
I hope you enjoy these waffles as much as my family does.
|Prep time||Total time|
|5 mins||5 mins|
The number of waffles this recipe makes depends on your waffle machine. I use a ½ cup of batter per waffle in my machine and it makes 8. The cooking time also will depend on your waffle machine. If you don’t have a waffle machine, make them as pancakes.
Author: Tracey Francis of Essential Olie
- 1½ cups gluten free flour (sifted)
- ¼ cup raw cacao
- 1 Tablespoon sugar*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 150ml coconut cream
- 300ml milk (dairy or non-dairy)**
- 250g gluten and dairy free dark chocolate chip bits
- In a large mixing bowl whisk/sift together flour, raw cacao/powdered chocolate, add sugar, vanilla powder, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
- Shake the can of coconut cream so the cream and liquid blend together.
- In a large measuring jug mix milk (dairy/non-dairy), coconut cream and eggs together.
- Whisk milk mixture into flour mixture til smooth.
- Stir through dark chocolate chip bits.
- Pour quantity required for your waffle maker and cook for the required time.
* I use organic raw caster sugar.
** I use this recipe with almond/coconut milk but if you can substitute with the milk (dairy or non-dairy) of your preference.