I have been making this fruit loaf for many years. I created it as an alternative to gluten free bread to have for breakfast, lunch or just as a sweet snack/treat.
It’s easy to adapt to make it taste slightly different each time as it depends on what dried fruit I have in my pantry or what I can get at the supermarkets. I mainly use cranberries, but sometimes when I see a dried mixed berry blend called ‘anti-oxidant blend’ I put that in it. I usually don’t make a special trip to the supermarket, so if I’ve only got currants or sultanas I use them in place of the cranberries.
It also easily converts to dairy free by using either almond milk, almond/coconut milk or macadamia nut milk. I’ve even made it with lactose free milk. It’s super tasty every time. If you can tolerate butter then use butter if not substitute the butter for your favourite dairy/casein free version.
The additional of 6 drops of a pure lemon essential oil takes it to a whole different level, however, you can omit the essential oils and it’s still a super tasty fruit loaf.
I do use dōTERRA essential oils which are pure, so please do not ingest or add essential oils without reading the label of the bottle. If you would like more information on essential oils, please click here. We would love to be there for you.
|Prep time||Cook time||Total time|
|15 mins||45 mins||60 mins|
Author: Essential Olie
- 1 3/4 cup Gluten Free Flour
- 1 teaspoon Guar Gum
- 2 teaspoons Gluten Free Baking Powder
- 3/4 cup Raw Caster Sugar
- 65g Melted Butter or Nuttelex
- 1 cup Milk or your favourite Dairy Free Alternative
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Pinch Salt
- 1 cup Flaked Almonds (reserve some for the top of the loaf)
- 3/4 Dried/Dehydrated Apple
- 185g Dried Cranberries (or blueberries or mixed dried berries or sultanas or currants)
- 6 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan forced).
- Grease and prepare your loaf tin.
- Mix together all dry ingredients by sifting them into a bowl then adding in the flaked almonds, dried/dehydrated apple and dried cranberries (or dried fruit of your choosing).
- Melt butter and pour into a mixing bowl.
- Add milk, egg and vanilla to melted butter and blend on low speed til combined with a stick blender or hand blender or in a mix master.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients mixing after each time.
- Once all of the dry ingredients have been added to the wet ingredients turn up the speed and beat for 3 minutes.
- Pour into prepared loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes (or until cake testing stick comes out clean).
- Cool, then serve warm or cold or cut a slice and toast it.