My mum made thousands of honey joys when we were kids. It has never occurred to me to make them for my girls until we brought the Aldi ‘Has No’ Gluten Corn Flakes and my girls thought they were delicious.
We made them in the school holidays and they went ga-ga over them. Who wouldn’t? They are crunchy, sweet and super tasty. Well maybe not me given I’m corn free, but I can’t let my kids miss out on them.
The quantity the recipe makes depends on the size of the spoonfuls you put into each cup cake patty paper. I find that we get 18-20 honey joys, but if you like them heaped and large it will make less. You can make more if you use a small cup cake tray and papers, but you will also need to reduce the cooking time.
|Prep time||Cook time||Total time|
|5 min||10 min||15 min|
Author: Tracey Francis of Essential Olie
- 4 cups gluten free corn flakes*
- 90g butter/nuttelex
- ⅓ cup sugar (I use organic raw caster sugar)
- 1 Tablespoon honey (I use raw honey)
- Preheat oven to 150°C (fan bake).
- Line 18-20 cup cake trays with cup cake patty papers.
- In a large mixing bowl, add gluten free corn flakes.
- In a saucepan, add butter/nuttelex, sugar and honey and melt until frothing.
- Gently pour butter/nuttelex mix onto the corn flakes and quickly mix with a spoon.
- Using 2 spoons (1 for scraping), fill the cup cake patty papers.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completing before eating as they are extremely hot, and will go hard and crunchy once cooled.
* We buy the Aldi ‘Has No’ Gluten Free Corn Flakes.