I got so excited when I discovered one of my gorgeous friends and business partners, Tuyen, has 2 small kumquat trees. You see, I hadn’t seen a kumquat tree for many years. Glenn’s grandmother used to have one in her backyard in Cronulla, but that was many years ago.
We lived in Glenn’s grandmother’s house for a time, and I hated that the kumquat fruit would rot and fall off the trees, so I used to make marmalade which was perfect to balance out the tartness of the fruit, and to use up the fruit wastefully growing.
My kids love it on a cheese platter when we are entertaining guests to balance out an aged cheese.
|Prep time||Processing time||Total time|
|5 mins||95 mins||100 mins|
Author: Essential Olie
- 500g Kumquats
- 300g Raw Caster Sugar
- 150ml Water
- Wash Kumquats, then place in the bowl, secure lid and measuring cup and whiz on Speed 6 for 4 seconds.
- Scrape down the side, then add Water, secure lid and measuring cup and cook at 100°C using the reverse Speed 2 for 5 minutes.
- Using a strainer and a bowl, strain out seeds, and put juice, flesh and rind back into the bowl
- Add Raw Caster Sugar, secure lid, and simmering basket instead of measuring cup, cook at 100°C using reverse Speed 1 for 95 minutes.
- Using the lid, pour into sterilised jars, leave upside down on a chopping board until cool, then store in the refrigerator.