I have cooked this in the oven and in the pressure cooker but I love it in the slow cooker simply because I can put it on to cook overnight for a lunch time meal or during the day for a night time meal. I often batch cook in my slow cooker and freeze meals so we have quick and easy to reheat meals. I also love it when we have guests over as it can feed quite a few people, which I am usually also baking sweets, so my oven is free to use.
I have been making my version of Lamb Ragu for many years and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. It’s lovely served with vegetables, mashed potato, baked potato, boiled or steamed potato (tossed in garlic infused oil), gluten free pasta or rice. It also makes a mean shepherds pie filling with the leftovers or a toastie.
In my slow cooker the meat is falling off the bone around 8 hours on the low setting. You can speed up the process by having the slow cooker set on high for a few hours, then turning it down to low. However, I like to leave it on low and allow it to take its time.
|Prep time||Total time|
|10 mins||10 mins|
Author: Tracey Francis of Essential Olie
- Leg of Lamb*
- 700g Passata
- 250g Beef or Veal Bone Broth (or stock)
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Garlic Clove (crushed)
- 4 Carrots (diced)
- 4 sticks of Celery (diced)
- 1 Brown Onion (diced)
- 4 Dried Bay Leaves
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan Rock Salt
- ¼ teaspoon White Pepper
- Sear meat just til the skin starting to brown**.
- Add to the seared meat, all other ingredients.
- Set slow cooker to the low setting and allow it to cook around 8 hours or longer if needed.
- When the meat is falling off the bone and starting to shredded remove the bones, then using 2 forks break up the meat.
* I use a leg that is approximately 2 to 2½ kgs.
** My slow cooker has the ability to be used on the stove top, so I sear the meat in the dish, then put the dish back in the slow cooker. If your slow cooker does not do this, then you might have to sear your meat using a baking dish or fry pan on the stove top.