Lemon Coconut Slice
A new but dear friend who shares my love of all things citrus gave me this recipe. It’s been around for quite some time, but it’s a quick, simple and no bake slice. It’s a great one to have all of the ingredients in the pantry to use with very little notice….well you just need time for it to set in the fridge.
Of course, I had to make it for the family, and after a few tweaks it’s ready to be shared with you.
You can add a little lemon rind to the base if you like, but my family prefer it plain. It’s up to you. In the icing I love using lemon essential oil instead of lemon juice. You could also add a few drops of lemon essential oil to the base if you wanted that extra zing as well. If you use lemon rind in the base use the rind from 1/2 to 1 whole lemon, and if you prefer using lemon juice in the icing use it instead of the water. If you use lemon essential oil, then please remember, I use dōTERRA essential oils. The lemon essential oil can be ingested. Do not buy a lemon essential oil from the shops and use it, as it may actually be harmful to ingest.
Lemon Coconut Slice
|Prep time||Total time|
|2 hours||2 hours|
The preparation time is very little, approximately 5 minutes, but it does take an 1 hour to cool and set the base, then a while for the icing to set, so I’ve set the preparation time as 2 hours.
Author: Tracey Francis of Essential Olie
- 200g Gluten Free Plain Biscuits*
- 1 cup Desiccated Coconut
- 130g Condensed Milk
- 95g Butter
- 1 cup Icing Sugar (sifted)
- 2 Tablespoons boiling water
- 1 Tablespoon soft Butter
- 6 drops dōTERRA Lemon Essential Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Desiccated Coconut (to sprinkle on the icing)
- Line a small slice tray with greaseproof paper.
- Crush biscuits til fine (I put the biscuits in 2 ziplock bags and use the end of a rolling pin)
- In a small saucepan, combine condensed milk and butter, and bring to the boil over a low heat (stir to combine).
- Take saucepan off the heat.
- Add coconut and crushed biscuits to saucepan and mix with a mixing spoon.
- Pour biscuit base mix into prepared slice tray – spread it evenly and flatten with the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Remove the slice base from the fridge and make the icing by sifting the icing sugar into a mixing bowl then adding soft butter and hot water and stir to combine. Add 6 drops of lemon essential oil then stir.
- Spread icing mixture over slice base and sprinkle with desiccated coconut.
- Refrigerate until the icing is set, then remove and cut into desired sized squares.
*We use Coconut Crunch by Naturally Good Bakehouse
Enjoy, til next time