Quick Lemon Chicken
We came up with a quick lemon chicken recipe when we were travelling in the USA a few months ago. We were limited to cooking with a fry pan in one of the hotels we stayed in, as it only had a cook top and a convention oven. If you know me, I seriously do not know how to use a microwave.
If you get free lemons, this recipe is another good way to use them up. We often get free lemons which is a bonus, but we usually do buy them.
I do make a lemon chicken in the oven and slow cooker, however, they are more saucy / stew type recipes. This is a varied version that’s quick, easy and very tasty. All you need is a fry pan. It’s great for those nights that your limited for time but want a tasty and nutritious meal. It’s also a good meal to cook on the weekend for weekday lunches.
We like making sweet potato fries or potato fries with some greens to serve with this lemon chicken. You can prepare the fries before you put on the chicken then they will be ready by the time the chicken is cooked. Since we have been home from our holiday, we have had it with cauliflower rice and greens (see my cauli cori rice recipe) and with rice and greens (see my nice rice baby recipe). We also enjoy it with a plate full of lettuce or iceberg lettuce wraps (this is particularly good for lunches).
Quick Lemon Chicken
|Prep time||Cook time||Total time|
|3 mins||20 mins||23 mins|
Author: Tracey Francis of Essential Olie
- 6 Chicken Thigh Fillets (with or without skin, but with a little fat on them)*
- 1 Lemon – cut into 8
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Italian Herbs (we use Simply Organic)
- Pinch of Himalayan Rock Salt and Cracked Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil for frying (or other oil of your choice)
- Wash lemons then cut lemons into 8 pieces. I usually quarter then halve the quarters.
- Put all ingredients into the fry pan – coconut oil, chicken thighs (so they are flat and single layered) and Italian herbs.
- Cook on a low to medium heat for approximately 8-10 minutes then turn thigh fillets over and cook on the other side for another 8-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your salad or vegetables of choice.
* We buy the Aldi free range chicken thigh fillets as they have a little more fat on them, which makes the chicken more tender. When we were overseas we managed to get the thigh fillets with the skin so the chicken was so tasty and ended up with a crispy skin as well.