Quick Pickles, “Quickles”
This week’s post compliments the hamburger patty post from last week, and in fact tastes amazing with the caramelised onions as well.
If you can tolerate dairy then you could make your own pickle and cheese grilled sandwiches; hamburgers with pickles; steak sandwiches with pickles; and of course coming up to summer (in Australia) they give a simple salad that extra zing.
I make my own pickles, as they really are quick and easy to make. I also always have the ingredients in the refrigerator and in my pantry. For some reason we used to buy pickles, but would always forget that we brought them so we would eventually throw them out…we have all been there…right? This recipe was my solution to that problem, as I hate wasting food.
I hope you enjoy my version of pickles.
You will need a sterilised 600ml jar for this recipe
Author: Tracey Francis of Essential Olie
- 200ml Apple Cider Vinegar
- 100g Sugar (I used raw caster sugar)
- ¼ teaspoon Tumeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Yellow Mustard Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Brown Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt
- 2 medium-sized Lebanese Cucumbers
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Fennel Fronds
- In a small saucepan combine Apple Cider Vinegar, sugar, salt and spices then bring to a slow boil so that the sugar dissolves.
- Finely slice cucumbers and jam pack them into the sterilised 600ml jar, top with fennel fronds then slowly pour in the hot liquid.
- Seal the jar then refrigerate.
- Consume within 14 days*.
Warning – in our house they are usually eaten in one sitting!