Sweet Citrus Crunch
Well, as promised, here is the sweet kick to my Citrus Crunch biscuits.
I tossed up on whether to include this variation of these cookies into the same post as last week, however, I decide against it. I personally love them without icing, but it is nice to have a sweet cookie with traditional harden icing on occasion. However, I’m outnumbered in the family in this view, as everyone prefers this version. Now my kids eat these biscuits!
Of course instead of using essential oils, you can use a little lemon and orange rind and freshly squeezed juice instead of the water. If you use lemon and wild orange essential oils, then please remember, I use dōTERRA essential oils. The lemon and wild orange essential oils can be ingested and give a light and tasty citrus tang to the biscuits. Do not buy a lemon or wild orange essential oil from the shops and use it, as it may actually be harmful to ingest.
Sweet Citrus Crunch
|Prep time||Cook time||Total time|
|15 mins||20 mins||35 mins|
The number of biscuits will depend on how thick or thin you roll the dough, and the size of the cookie cutter. I use a round cookie cutter that is approximately 5cm in diameter.
Author: Tracey Francis of Essential Olie
- 1 cup Almond Meal/Flour
- ⅔ cup Tapioca Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar*
- 50g melted Nuttelex or Butter
- 1 Egg
- 6 drops dōTERRA lemon essential oil
- 6 drops dōTERRA wild orange essential oil
- ½ cup Icing Sugar
- 2 drops dōTERRA lemon essential oil
- 2 drops dōTERRA wild orange essential oil
- 1 Tablespoon boiling water
- Preheat oven to 160°C (fan forced).
- Prepare baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Combine together almond meal, sugar and tapioca flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt butter/nuttelex then add essential oils (or zest) to dry ingredients.
- Add whole egg to dry ingredients, and mix til incorporated. It will be hard to mix, but keep going.
- Roll out biscuit mix on greaseproof paper until it’s at the desired thickness (I usually roll it to approximately ½-1cm), cut with a cookie cutter or glass cup and put onto prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl.
- Add essential oils (or 1 teaspoon of orange and lemon zest) and water (or juice) and mix til combined.
- Using a knife or icing spatula coat the top of each biscuit with icing.
- Allow to completely dry before eating or storing in an airtight container.